The data migration process which is so important to the success of your new CRM solution can be a real headache. It’s important to understand how to do it properly to minimise hassle or problems. As specialist CRM consultants we have helped hundreds of companies to get their data migration process spot-on, first time. Here, we share our tips and tricks for successful data migration.
It pays to think ahead. Consider:
- Which record types need to be migrated? Be aware that not all record types can be migrated over successfully using the Excel import function.
- Consider the number of records that need to be migrated.
Test import runs
Test the imports in a sandbox environment first, to minimise the impact of any problems. This will:
- Allow you to perfect the data mappings (see below)
- Ensure any creases in the data are ironed out before go live
- Accurately estimate how long the data load will take
- Reduce risk when importing into the production instance
Data maps can be saved at the end of the import
These can be exported and imported into the Production instance from Sandbox.
Duplicate detection rules
You should ensure there are duplicate detection rules set up.
Take note of what rules are active as these stop records being imported if a duplicate is found.
If importing from Excel we would always advise checking the following if the file has been saved as a CSV:
- Phone numbers
- Currency columns
- Date columns
Assigning a unique ID to each record allows for a more consistent data import.
This helps in scenarios where there are multiple records with the same name eg. multiple accounts with the same name to represent multiple offices.
What to do next
We hope these tips will help you consider your data migration with greater confidence. However, our CRM specialists are always here for help and advice. Please get in touch if you need assistance.