Microsoft has confirmed there will be one version of Dynamics 365*, Microsoft Dynamics 365 Enterprise Edition. In October 2016 Microsoft altered the licensing structure of the product, formerly known as Dynamics CRM, you can read more about this here.
The aim of this page is to offer clear information about Microsoft Dynamics 365 licensing. There are several options, which are priced at different levels, and we want to ensure you choose the right one, potentially saving your organization money!
Licensing Microsoft Dynamics 365 can seem complicated, but using our Licensing Microsoft Dynamics 365 guide we hope that we will inform you and give you great information, save you money if you have been misinformed, or ensure that you are within the Microsoft rules about licensing.
We have been speaking with organisations that have ‘under licensed’ and therefore could be subject to an audit by Microsoft, so ensuring you are getting this right is absolutely crucial and something we are passionate about. If you would like us to do a licensing audit, please email George@caltech.co.uk
Overview of Microsoft Dynamics 365 Licenses
- Full users within Dynamics 365 can purchase an application or a plan. Full users are role-based, for example, a sales user may wish to utilise the sales application; a customer service user, the customer service application…
- A user that carries out a fuller role and needs access to all parts of the system may look at a plan option. The plans combine all the applications.
- Team members are a light user. These light users are an affordable way of giving access to data at a much lower price point.
- The Enterprise Plan 1 (Customer Engagement Plan) includes sales, customer service, project automation and field service applications.
- If a user requires more than one application then it will be more affordable and best value to purchase the Plan, rather than separate applications.
- There are SMB Dynamics 365 licenses available which may be suitable for your needs*. These SMB product codes currently include
- A sales application for up to 25 users
- A sales and customer service application for up to 50 users
- Both of these applications allow up to 150 team members to also use the site.
*Correct at the time of writing, October 2017
Help Me with my Dynamics 365 Licensing Situation!
We wanted to give as much information as possible about licensing Microsoft Dynamics 365 and we have come up with 4 different situations. These scenarios may help you to understand which license you will need for your organization.
Dynamics 365 Licensing Situation 1
Sales Focused SMB Dynamics 365 Licensing
This business is completely new to Dynamics 365 and is looking for an online CRM platform for 23 salespeople. The sales team need to manage leads and opportunities and create quick marketing campaigns to send out messages using the system. The business also has 5 other users that don’t manage the sales opportunities, but need to see accounts and contacts and perhaps update them, as well as writing notes in the CRM solution.
Licensing Outcome Sales Focused SMB:
- 23 x Dynamics 365 for Sales app Enterprise Edition SMB offer for under 25 users.
- 5 x Dynamics 365 for Team Members, Enterprise Edition (SMB Offer).
This would be the best licensing solution as the 23 sales team users would have access to the system to carry out their role focusing on sales. The 5 Team Members will be able to review open opportunities, have access to user reporting and dashboards and also be able to read all data on the site, as well as being able to write to accounts, contacts, activities, notes and tasks. Please note that the sales application allows up to 25 users so this needs to be taken into consideration.
If this is the best situation for your business by choosing the SMB product codes instead of the standard pricing means that this scenario has saved over £15k!
Dynamics 365 Licensing Situation 2
Sales and Customer Service SMB Dynamics 365 Licensing
This company has a sales team of 26 people based throughout the UK. It also has 10 people that are based in the office managing customer service duties, as well as 3 managers that need to be able to report on sales and customer service activities, but don’t do the role of the sales or service teams.
Licensing Outcome Sales and Customer Service SMB:
- 36 x Dynamics 365 for Customer Service and Sales app Enterprise Edition SMB offer for under 50 users.
- 3 x Dynamics 365 for Team Members, Enterprise Edition (SMB Offer).
This would be the best scenario for this sales and customer service focused business. This gives all users the functionality of sales and customer service, however, if you wanted the sales people to only see ‘sales functionality’ we can make their sign in bespoke so that they only see that part of the system and vice versa for customer service. The 3 managers would be able to report on business activities. Please note that the customer service and sales SMB application is available for up to 50 users with an additional 150 team members, making it a great option for many organisations. If this is the best situation for your business, by choosing this dual SMB product code instead of the standard pricing offers a saving in this case of over £15k.
If this is the best situation for your business, by choosing this dual SMB product code instead of the standard pricing offers a saving in this case of over £15k.
Dynamics 365 Licensing Situation 3
Large organization implementing Dynamics 365 Licensing
This company has a national sales team of 25 people as well as 30 people who are managing customers in a call centre. It also has 5 project managers who need to work on opportunities as well as carry out project management duties. The management team of 10 people needs to see critical information about its business. Licensing Outcome Large organization implementing Dynamics 365: • 25 x Dynamics 365 for sales application. • 30 x Dynamics 365 for customer service application • 5 x Dynamics 365 Plans (giving access to the entire system for the project managers). • 10 x Dynamics 365 Team members for the management team. For this large
Licensing Outcome Large organization implementing Dynamics 365:
- 25 x Dynamics 365 for sales application.
- 30 x Dynamics 365 for customer service application
- 5 x Dynamics 365 Plans (giving access to the entire system for the project managers).
- 10 x Dynamics 365 Team members for the management team. For this large
For this organisation, it will need to ensure that the licenses enable each individual to carry out their roles with ease. As this business needs more than 50 users across sales and customer service, it cannot choose the SMB product codes, therefore needs to ensure it has the higher-level licensing. The key here is to only purchase the applications that the users need. The plans are there to allow access to more than one area in the system and are only better value if the users need that access. Therefore, it is best to be completely clear about which roles your users carry out and if they truly need full access to the system or light access.
If you require an audit of your licensing you have already purchased for Dynamics 365, or if you are looking to purchase Dynamics 365 for the first time, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a competitive and comprehensive pricing.
Situation 4 – already using Dynamics CRM and are transitioning to Dynamics 365?
Check out our Microsoft Dynamics 365 Licensing Summary December 2016 or email us email@example.com
We are saving our customers money every day by ensuring they are transitioning to the optimal product codes. Check you are on the right deal, email us firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information check out our free Dynamics 365 Licensing Infographic by clicking on the image below!